The first time I ate this at a friend’s house, it was the best soul food black-eyed peas I ever tasted. She used smoked turkey. Over the years I’ve used turkey or bacon, depending on what whim I had. It’s all good.
🔹4-5 green onions, chopped (or 1 medium white onion, chopped)
🔹3 cloves garlic, chopped
🔹1 (16 oz) bag dry black-eyed peas
🔹Your choice: at least 1 cup of chopped up smoked turkey or bacon
🔹7 cups of chicken broth (or enough to cover the beans)
🔹Red pepper flakes
🔹Black pepper (optional)
1. Sort & wash the black-eyed peas. Set aside.
2. Chop onions & garlic.
3. In a large pot, add in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and saute the onions and garlic until tender.
4. Add in the chopped meat, black-eyed peas, & chicken broth.
5. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until black-eyed peas are tender.
6. Remove from heat and let sit covered for about 10-15 minutes.
7. Season with red pepper & black pepper if desired.
I like to serve it with this cornbread.
We are thankful to our incredible sponsors!
Please Support These American Owned Businesses
History, Texas, Pioneers, Genealogy