For almost five years, 2007-2011, I lived above the beautiful Majestic Theater in downtown San Antonio, Texas.
While I enjoyed having the restaurants and River Walk in my “backyard,” my favorite place to dine was just a couple of doors down at E. Houston Street Bistro.
Razmik Boghozian, proprietor of the restaurant, lived a few floors above me at The Majestic Towers. We became good friends and at one point before his death in 2016, he estimated I had dined there over 925 times.
I had Spurs basketball season tickets and Razmik would occasionally pull himself away from his bistro to join me at a game. It was a sure thing he wouldn’t go if there was a concert, Broadway play or some other popular event at the Majestic, Empire or Aztec theaters.
Although most of my meals were lunch, several nights a week I would entertain friends at the Bistro. Razmik’s attention to detail was immaculate.
One of my favorite dishes was his “Phantom of the Opera Garlic Penne Pasta Chicken.” He was kind enough to share his recipe when I moved away. RIP Dear friend.
- 1(1 lb) box penne or (1 lb) box penne rigate, cooked as directed, drained and kept hot
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 3/4 cup of chicken broth
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups spinach
- 4 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more for garnish
- In a deep skillet, fry the bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper towel to drain, then chop.
- In the same skillet, add the chicken and season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and paprika. Cook until no longer pink inside.
- Add the garlic and cook until softened.
- Add spinach and tomatoes and cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Melt butter and add garlic in a medium sauce pan.
- Cook over medium for 1 minute.
- Add flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in broth and milk and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce boils and thickens.
- Add parsley, salt, pepper and cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add bacon and chicken.
- Toss hot pasta with sauce and serve immediately.
We love H-E-B MEAL SIMPLE
Categories: Wisdom and Cleverness